Thursday, March 1, 2007

One Recurring Nightmare

So in the middle of watching some non-descript, unimportant television show last night, I heard a wail. G woke up for some reason - probably a nightmare - and I went up and he was already basically asleep by the time I got there.

I don't remember how old I was, but when I was younger I would have recurring nightmares. I had about 3 that would play over and over every once in a while. Here's one of them:

I was going to a party. It was down the street from where I lived, right past the main road and just on the other side - so very close. My mom or dad dropped me off. When I got in, however, all the party guests were spiders. I thought it was odd and I was a little scared. I tried to tell my mom or dad not to leave, but they had already left. Various things would happen at this point. Party games, cake, all the usual things that would happen at a child's birthday party. By the end, however, I always turned into what the spiders wanted. They wanted to spin their webs on me and basically "get" me. I was the biggest party favor there. They never got me. I always got out of the house. But I was never able to scream and when I really needed to, I was never able to run. I tried and tried and then, finally, woke up.

Now I realize it was my brain prohibiting me from moving during sleep. (I've just spent about 15 minutes searching for a website that discusses this, but couldn't find one. I just saw a special on TLC where, I think maybe the hypothalmus doesn't work right and people sleep walk, talk and are destructive in their sleep, unlike the majority of people.) What the rest of the dream was about, I really don't know.

No comments: