Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Passage of Time

So I went to bed at 9:30 last night with medicine in body. Now it's 2:18 a.m. and I'm waiting for the second dose to kick in (which it's very close to doing so, so if I babble, you'll know why - codeine laden cough syrup).

I thought I would have no dreams last night (tonight being last night still). I was right. The cough syrup suppressed all that. But I did still keep waking up. And I did still have a few images in my head as I had fallen asleep - which definitely don't count as dreams.

One of the reasons I'm keeping this journal is because if I don't dream, if I don't notice the passage of time, it's like I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. When I wake up I need to look at the clock. I have to know what time it is. If I'm at a hotel or staying somewhere as a guest, I HAVE to have a clock. It's the same with dreams. If I don't have a dream, something feels off. Sometimes my dreams are just as tiring as waking life, because they are so detailed. I can never repeat that detail here because as I said to a friend the other night, it's almost like watching a t.v. show. Some things are just in the background, but a lot of detail is there. Sometimes as I journal, it will spark part of the dream that I had forgotten about.

OK, I'm sitting here staring off. I still have a headache, but my arms and head are starting to feel heavy. Good night and good dreams.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

codeine cough syrup...hmmmm..I'll have to try that...seems like that would put me in such a deep sleep that I wouldn't dream....but I'll give it a shot..kevin

HitThaFloor said...

It definitely puts you out. I'm the light sleeper in my family (hence all the dreams remembered) but it wasn't enough to keep me asleep for more then 2 hours at a time. Maybe tonight. Of course, being the non-imbibing person that I am - I only suggest it if you have a really bad cough. But when you take it, it does feel really cool.