Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Nightmare - Ants


OK - I know this is ridiculous, but I hate ants.....when they're outside I don't care about them but put one ant in my house and I turn into a nutcase. I don't care about spiders, unless they're monsters in size, but ants kill me. It all goes back to when I was living in California and they invaded my home. I was on the phone with Raid every day because I couldn't get rid of them. I still feel queezy in the stomach just thinking about it.


Now, couple my fear and neurotic dislike of ants and couple that with ant season in my house. Doesn't matter how clean or dirty my house is, every spring I get ants. It started with the big ones, which isn't the worst of the ants, but now I'm getting those little ones and they freak me out to no end. I know it's ridiculous but I've now started ant watch and look for anything moving. I cleaned my floor on my hands and knees last night - 11:00. I joke around but if you want me to clean anything in my house - throw in some ants and I'll clean it and let everything else go. Wedding to go to? Sorry, gotta get rid of the ants. My boy is graduating? Sorry, ants.


Well - last night I found my first ant of the season, and I just sprayed the entire outside of my house with ant spray the night before - maybe this is them getting back at me for killing a whole colony down by the end of my driveway - but it was GROSS! So, of course, last night I had a nightmare.


It starts with me in my house seeing one tiny ant. I dealt with it ok. Went about my normal business. My friends leave and I'm alone. I'm back and forth between inside my house and outside in the backyard. I see a few more ants and it icks me but I'm dealing. All of a sudden, there is a trail of ants back and forth and there's a swarm of flying ants. I look at this beaded wall hanging I made of a duck (which I really did make - it's hanging in my youngest's room) and when I make a closer inspection it's been consumed by the ants and they are making the picture of the duck. I walk in my kitchen and have an oven mitt in my hand. I go to kill one of the flying ants and wack it with the oven mitt. I couldn't squish it because that would have been gross - but the ant is about 1-2" big and it was gross. It had wings. I know I can't kill them all. Bizarrely, in the middle of the dream, I have a friend for brunch. We're sitting on my front porch - very New York restaurant style concrete sidewalk front porch. I have to walk inside to get something and remember about the ants.


I wake up whining and crying. At this time my youngest (about 5:30 a.m.) has a nightmare too. I go to lay with him but all I can think about is the stupid ants and my nightmare and I can't get back to a restful sleep.

No comments: