Friday, May 15, 2009

Dance Contest


I was at a dance contest. It was taking place in an auditorium, and the auditorium was full. There was a ramp in the middle where you could go out into the audience. It started with male stripper-style dancers and a whole bunch of women with wads of dollar bills, but they weren't doing anything with them. I was dancing and about to say hi to an old co-worker of mine when I saw my friend Rachel W. who was in the audience watching us with her family.


Next thing I know I'm standing on stage, along with the other contestants. I guess I had performed a solo dance out of the possible categories (solo, duet and group). There was a girl, Karin, who was standing behind me...she's the girl that looks just like Rachel W. I was trying to get Rachel's attention to point her out but Rachel was getting my attention because I hadn't heard my name called - I was a finalist! I ran over by the other finalists. I was standing right behind Aemi T. and her sister Judi R. (they both danced solo as well). There was another girl and an older man with a huge paunch - the janitor. He kept saying he didn't dance as well as he liked - that next year he'd dance much better.


They came out with the medals. The threw the first place medal to this girl we didn't know and the third place medal to the janitor. They originally were only going to have 2 winners but they decided that the grand winner was Ms. Rothenberg.....I said "which one?" The announcer said "the social one." I said "which one?" And she pointed to Judi. Judi won first place. I patted Aemi on the back and said now that she's got a family I guess she's not considered the "social one" anymore.


We looked at the medal and they had added the third medal since they hadn't planned on it. They had a piece of tin foil and they colored the letter "C" on it. Don't know why.

No comments: