Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy - Hope


So I saw Dr. Kitzmann today from the Cleveland Clinic who knows all about Map Dot Fingerprint Dystrophy and ABMD (Anterior Base Membrane Dystrophy) and, here's the catch, she was nice! She listened and had input and was super friendly. I just realized, looking back at my erosion journal, that I've had 12 erosions since the end of May. I wasn't sure if that was a lot and Dr. Kitzmann said it is and that, given that I've been religious with my Muro, it's time to take it to the next step. She was ready to do it then and there but we, together, decided that we'll wait for my next erosion once the new year starts (because that's when my deductible starts over again) and I'll come in on an emergency basis. She'll do an abrasion and micropuncture (stroml or stromo something - I don't the technical name for it) but that I don't need to do the lasik because my problem is very localized. She said that I'll have blurred vision for a few days and some discomfort and that I'll be seen by her for 3 months for follow ups and then a few more after that but that she thinks I'll be able to end my torture, that this will work for me. In the 5-10% chance it doesn't we'll try the procedure one more time.
I still have a long way to go. I have to wait for an erosion and then I'll have 3 months of daily antibiotic drops and contact bandages....and I'll hae to continue the muro until I'm sure that my eyes are lubricated enough on their own, but there seems to be an end in sight (no pun intended) even if it is a long-while off. YEA!

No comments: