Friday, May 4, 2007

Camp and a Baby

I was going to Camp Wise. I had to walk about a quarter of a mile down this dirt road to get to where we needed to launch boats. I had to drag the boat with me and there was one other person who was doing the same thing. Then I went back up to the house where I then needed to walk to Camp. I couldn't believe I was going to be working there again and I was 36 years old. It felt odd, but then I remembered that Brent Weinstock was older and it didn't feel quite so odd anymore. I just hoped that I could still keep up with all the campers. I remember this feeling of pure excitement and joy. (Note: I ran into Jon Steiger last night and we were talking about the Shabbat dinners at Camp to mark the 100 year anniversary and the alumni weekend.)

Then, I was in a terminal of some kind - airport, bus station. I don't know. A friend had a baby but she couldn't take care of her. Amanda (who just had a baby on May 3rd) was going to take the baby, but I decided to take her for about a week until Amanda could get back on her feet. She had slept all night straight through and woke up crawling. She wasn't even hungry and I didn't change her. I started running around like a mad woman because I knew the baby was going to need to eat and I didn't have any formula for her. I didn't want to give her the $50 stuff because I didn't want her to get used to it. I found an old can of the Wal-Mart brand and was going to use it but someone was worried that it had been opened for a while and I figured that it hadn't been opened for more than the 6 months before you need to throw it out (which, if I did the math correctly, it would have been - but it wasn't in my dream) and I also figured she wouldn't eat more then a quarter ounce. Dave was showing Jason the difference between the $50 stuff and the cheaper stuff and Jason was amazed. Then I had to start looking for a bottle.

I woke up singining the Manamana song in my head and now I can't get it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, so long as brent wa sworking then....got a good laugh out of that one
m

HitThaFloor said...

Brent and Camp are synomymous in my mind.